Training at Prosthetic & Orthotic Associates
POA Gait Training
Prosthetic & Orthotic Associates is passionate about proper gait training. Our training programs are custom tailored to the needs, health and goals of each patient. We document each session, chronicling the amazing progress our patients make.
Stability is a major challenge that all prosthetic users face regardless of the level of the amputation. POA prepares each individual prosthetics training program based on a number of factors::
- The prostheses have been properly matched, balanced, aligned and fitted to the patient.
- The general physical health and conditioning of the patient.
- The level of amputation for BK, AK, hip, and bilateral amputees.
- The condition of the residual limb.
- The level of performance the patient is targeting to achieve.
- The logistics in regards to location and distance of the patient.
POA patients learn during Gait Training to activate the muscles that will enhance their stability by controlling the residual and prosthetic joints providing the levels of propulsion they are looking for.
POA Fitness Training
POA targets the muscles controlling these factors including:
- hip extensors
- pelvic rotators
- hip abductors
- hip flexors
POA employs therapeutic exercises to strengthen these muscles and offset potential muscle imbalances including:
- hip adductor/abductor imbalance in the transfemoral amputee
- gluteus maximus shortening hip flexor shortening
POA Sports Training
Prosthetic & Orthotic Associates’ prosthetics training assists athletes with prostheses to prepare them for all kinds of sports – from a gentle job to extreme watersports. With the advances in prosthetic technology and products like the NPS Socket System, amputees are able to reach all kinds of sporting success.