Training at Prosthetic & Orthotic Associates
POA Gait Training
Prosthetic & Orthotic Associates is passionate about proper gait training. We provide targeted gait training for all our patients. Our goal is to have you walking with comfort and confidence by the time you receive your finished prosthesis. Therapeutic exercises and drills focused on strengthening muscles are used to offset potential imbalances such as:
- hip adductor/abductor imbalance in the transfemoral amputee
- gluteus maximus shortening
- hip flexor shortening
Our gait training programs are custom tailored to the needs, health and goals of each patient, including level of amputation(s), condition of the residual limb, and targeted level of performance
Stability is a major challenge that all prosthetic users face regardless of the level of the amputation. POA prepares each individual prosthetics training program based on a number of factors:
- The prostheses have been properly matched, balanced, aligned and fitted to the patient.
- The general physical health and conditioning of the patient.
- The level of amputation for BK, AK, hip, and bilateral amputees.
- The condition of the residual limb.
- The level of performance the patient is targeting to achieve.
- The logistics in regards to location and distance of the patient.
POA patients learn during Gait Training to activate the muscles that will enhance their stability by controlling the residual and prosthetic joints providing the levels of propulsion they are looking for. As you begin walking, we will use advanced alignment tools such as the laser posture to make adjustments to improve your gait.
POA Fitness/Athletic Training
The staff at POA prepare athletes with prostheses for sports from mild to extreme. With the advances in prosthetic technology and products, everyone from youngster to elite athletes to seniors can discover their possibilities. At POA, we take a “whole body” approach to training which develops your core strength, balance, agility, and cardiovascular strength. Our exercise programs have been developed and tested to adapt to the needs of amputees at each level of amputation and competition. Use of our fitness facilities are free to POA patients, including:
- fully equipped fitness center
- turf training track
- traverse climbing wall
- golf simulator
- access to on-site personal fitness trainers
With the advances in prosthetic technology and products, amputees are able to reach all kinds of sporting success.